As a vegetable and condiment, chili has long been a part of the daily diet of Chinese people, and it has occupied a pivotal position in Sichuan cuisine, Hunan cuisine and other local specialties. Internationally, there are endless researches on the relationship between hot peppers and health. Previous studies have stated that eating too much pepper can easily lead to idiots. After interviewing many authoritative experts, the reporter believes that the scientific nature of this conclusion needs to be further confirmed. Recently, another new study on peppers published in the American Journal of Cardiology has brought good news to those who do not like spicy food. Regular consumption of peppers can reduce the risk of death from heart attack or stroke. .
Healthy people eat chili to protect the heart
A number of research institutes in Italy cooperated with 22,800 Italian residents as research subjects, collected their frequency of eating peppers, and monitored their health and eating habits for an average of 8.2 years. The results found that compared with people who never eat or rarely eat hot peppers (less than 2 times a week), those who ate hot peppers more than 4 times a week reduced the risk of all-cause death and cardiovascular death by 23% and 34%; eating hot pepper regularly reduces the incidence of ischemic heart disease by 44% and reduces the incidence of cerebrovascular disease by 61%; the protective effect of hot pepper on the heart is more obvious in people without hypertension.
Liu Wei, chief physician of the Department of Cardiology, Beijing Anzhen Hospital, Capital Medical University, told reporters that the research was published in a well-known journal in the medical field and the conclusions are relatively reliable. In fact, this is not the first study to point out that pepper can reduce the risk of death and benefit cardiovascular health. In 2015, a large-scale study of nearly 500,000 residents in 10 regions of China showed that compared with those who ate spicy food less than once a week, those who ate 6-7 times a week had a lower risk of death from all causes by 14 %, the risk of death from ischemic heart disease is reduced by 22%, and eating chili has more obvious heart benefits for people who do not drink. Liu Wei said that previous studies have shown that eating chili peppers can reduce the incidence of cardiovascular disease and the risk of death, mainly due to the anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and blood circulation effects of capsaicin in chili peppers.
”However, we still need to treat these conclusions dialectically.” Liu Wei said that cardiovascular disease has primary prevention and secondary prevention. Primary prevention means that those who are not sick should avoid causing cardiovascular disease; secondary prevention means that those who are already ill should prevent cardiovascular events, such as heart failure, from recurring. The samples included in the above-mentioned latest study are Italian residents located on the coast of the Mediterranean. They eat the world-recognized healthy “Mediterranean diet” daily. In addition, the subjects of the study are relatively healthy people without cardiovascular disease, so the study can only prove Eating hot peppers has obvious effects in primary prevention. For people who already have cardiovascular disease, it is still impossible to draw the conclusion that “eating hot peppers can reduce cardiovascular mortality.”
Six benefits of fresh chili
”The vitamin C content of fresh peppers ranks first in vegetables. It is also rich in B vitamins, carotene, calcium, iron and other mineral elements, which can supplement the various nutrients needed by the human body. Due to mortality.” Zuo Xiaoxia, director of the Nutrition Department of the Eighth Medical Center of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army General Hospital, said that existing classics and studies have shown that capsicum and capsaicin have many benefits to the human body:
1. Inhibit intestinal inflammation. According to the “Examination of Medicinal Properties”, pepper has the effect of “warming the middle and dispelling cold, eliminating wind and sweating”, and eating hot pepper appropriately can warm the stomach and drive away cold. The dietary fiber in pepper can promote gastrointestinal peristalsis; capsaicin can prevent malnutrition and intestinal barrier dysfunction caused by intestinal microorganisms, and inhibit intestinal inflammation.
2. Improve cardiovascular health. Capsaicin can promote blood circulation and help delay arteriosclerosis. Zhu Zhiming’s team from Daping Hospital of the Third Military Medical University found that long-term capsaicin diet intervention can significantly improve endothelial-dependent vasodilation, which indicates that capsicum has the effect of lowering blood pressure. Studies have also shown that peppers can lower cholesterol and reduce the chance of forming dangerous blood clots.
3. Improve immunity. The vitamin C in fresh peppers can improve human immunity, resist free radicals, and have certain benefits for the skin.
4. Helps lose weight. Capsaicin can promote lipolysis, enhance insulin sensitivity, and prevent overweight and obesity to a certain extent.
5. Anti-cancer. In 2016, “Breast Cancer: Goals and Treatments” published an article that capsaicin can inhibit breast cancer cell growth. In 2017, a study by Connecticut State University in the United States found that eating chili peppers can inhibit intestinal tumors and prolong the life of patients. In 2019, a study by Marshall University in the United States found that capsaicin has the effect of blocking the metastasis of cancer cells.
6. Sterilization and pain relief. Capsaicin also has many pharmacological effects, such as analgesia, anti-inflammatory, antipruritic, sterilization, treatment of frostbite and rheumatism. There are some painkillers in clinic, the main ingredient is capsaicin.
Eat spicy food scientifically to maintain health
”On the basis of scientific prevention of cardiovascular disease, eating chili is beneficial, but it definitely cannot replace the recognized cardiovascular disease prevention strategy.” Liu Wei emphasized that theoretically, existing studies have shown that chili can be eaten well. The more, the stronger the protection, but only if the body can withstand it. In addition, the protective effect of eating chili is closely related to everyone’s risk of cardiovascular disease. People who smoke and drink a lot, it is not feasible to eat more chili to avoid risks. Liu Wei reminded that if the cardiovascular system develops to the extent that it needs secondary prevention, it means that arteriosclerosis is already very serious, and the effect of simply eating pepper is not great. For people with cardiovascular disease, the most important thing is to maintain good living habits, get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and eat a healthy and balanced diet; take medications as prescribed by the doctor, and do not stop or reduce medication without authorization; control blood pressure, blood sugar and Weight; maintain a good attitude.
”Don’t think that as long as it is chili, it is good for the cardiovascular system.” Zuo Xiaoxia said that fresh chili is the most suitable, and it is not recommended to eat more seasoned dried chili. As for how much to eat, there is currently no clear recommendation. Generally speaking, people in Sichuan, Jiangxi, Hunan, Hubei and other provinces like hot peppers and eat hot peppers almost every day without recommendation. Residents in other areas can follow the national dietary guidelines to recommend 300 to 500 grams of vegetables per person per day, The intake of chili should be controlled at about 50 to 100 grams. Take hot peppers as an example, just one or two per day. But pay attention to doing what you can, and not eating chili peppers. In addition, there are various cooking methods in our country, and high-oil and high-salt stir-frying may offset its disease prevention effect. Therefore, when eating chili, it is best to have less oil, salt and sugar, to ensure that the daily oil intake is less than 25-30 grams, salt less than 6 grams, and sugar less than 25 grams. High-oil vegetables like fried pork Eat less.
Zuo Xiaoxia reminded that people suffering from hemorrhoids, keratitis, pink eye, hyperthyroidism, gastrointestinal diseases, kidney disease, high blood pressure, heart failure and other diseases, as well as pregnant women, acne and pepper allergies are not suitable for eating pepper.